candidates engaged via omni-channel
of candidates interviewed hired
of job offers accepted
About UNC Health
UNC Health is a not-for-profit integrated healthcare system owned by the state of North Carolina and based in Chapel Hill. Originally established Nov. 1, 1998, UNC Health currently comprises UNC Hospitals and its provider network, the clinical programs of the UNC School of Medicine, and 11 hospitals across the state.
The system has more than 3,200 physicians and 350 clinics, and their medical staff members manage 3.5 million clinical visits, 120,000 surgeries, and 470,00 emergency room visits annually. To keep up with the large number of patients, their recruitment team is responsible for filling hundreds of positions a year.
Healthcare Recruiters Struggle to Hire Nurses
UNC Health, a leading integrated health system in North Carolina, had a number of open oncology, emergency, psychiatry, operating room, medicine and surgery nursing positions. The vacancies meant that they had to turn to overtime pay — costing hospitals 50% more per hour1 — and travel nurses, which cost 166% more per RN per hour.2
As a result of high costs, UNC Health wanted to fill positions quickly; however, they faced a number of challenges:
Virtual Hiring Events for Healthcare Recruitment
By utilizing Live Recruit, a virtual job fair and recruiting event platform, UNC Health built awareness around their employer brand, converted passive candidates, and filled critical RN positions — all while saving time and money. Live Recruit’s strategic approach included:
Virtual Career Fairs for Healthcare Recruitment: Increasing Productivity & Reducing Cost Per Hire
Live Recruit helped UNC Health’s team engage passive healthcare candidates, increase efficiency, and cut costs. High-quality nursing candidates came straight to recruiters during a 4-hour window. Within minutes, candidates were introduced to hiring managers and many were extended offers on the spot. The results speak for themselves:
- Debra Pollick, RN, MS, EVP/COO, Volume Recruitment Services and Ron Benfield, FACHE, CEO, Millwood Associates. (2018, August 31). RN recruitment: The cost of doing nothing is costly. Becker’s Hospital Review.
- Brian Colosi, BA, MBA, SPHR. (2021). 2021 NSI National Health Care Retention & RN Staffing Report.
- U.S. BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS, & Elka Torpey. (2018). Employment outlook for bachelor’s-level occupations.
- Association for Advancing Physician and Provider Recruitment. (2021, June 3). Benchmarking – AAPPR.
- What it Really Takes to Win Over Passive Candidates. (2020). Recruiterbox Blog.
- Lingo, A. (2018, January 22). The Real Cost of Nurse Turnover. PassportUSA.