The basis for these laws comes from Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which “makes it unlawful to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity) or religion.”
General Tips for Recruiters Asking Interview Questions
- Come up with a list of questions before an interview and stick to the script.
- Avoid asking anything that’s overly personal.
- If a candidate gets too personal, redirect the conversation with questions that tie back to the job.
- Stay afloat on what’s legal and illegal to ask.
- Keep the focus of your questions on the job description and whether the candidate meets the necessary requirements for the role.